Score: Wesleyan 1, Castleton 1
Records: Wesleyan (5-4-2, 2-2-0 NESCAC); Castleton (4-8-2, 3-3-0 NEAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Spurrier-Snyder Rink)
Date: Wednesday, January 11th
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's ice hockey team played Castleton University to a 1-1 tie on Wednesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans struck first at as Nicolle Trivino put in the rebound off a Jocelyn Forrest shot at 12:56 in the first period. Bre Babiarz was also given an assist on the goal.
- The Cardinals would respond in the second period as Hailey Sholty '17 would net her fourth goal of the syeason on the power play to tie the game at 1. Abby Rutt '18 and Jess Brennan '17 earned assists on the goal which saw Sholty sneak the puck past Castleton goaltender Alexis Kalm at the 10:32 mark of the period.
- The two teams would play a scoreless third period.
- In the overtime period, the Spartans would have a power play for the final two minutes, and they put the pressure on Wesleyan, however the Cardinals penalty kill unit along with goaltender Sam Smith '20, were able to keep Castleton off the board and the game would end in a 1-1 tie.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Smith made 28 saves in net for Wesleyan while her counterpart Klam made 35.
- The Cardinals return to the ice on Saturday, January 14th as they will take on No. 8/9 Connecticut College. Face off is scheduled for 3 p.m.
- The Spartans are back in action on Friday, January 13th as they will host Holy Cross for a 7 p.m. contest.