Score: Bowdoin 3, Wesleyan 0
Records: Wesleyan (7-6-3, 4-4-1 NESCAC), Bowdoin (10-6-2, 5-4-1 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Spurrier-Snyder Rink)
Date: Friday, January 27th
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's ice hockey team dropped the series opener to Bowdoin College by a score of 3-0 on Friday night at Spurrier-Snyder Rink.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Polar Bears got off to a quick start, scoring their first goal just 1:10 into the game as Brooke Solomon found an open Maureen Greason in front of the net, and Greason was able to put the puck past Allegra Grant '20 for the 1-0 lead.
- The visitors notched their second goal of the period, this time on the power play as Marissa Fichter took a pass from Solomon and put Bowdoin up two goals at 12:56.
- The Polar Bears would increase their lead to three goals in the second period as Jess Cloutier took a pass from Madeline Hall and skated down the ice and fired a shot that went just under the cross bar for the score at 11:35.
- Cici Frattasio '18 and Jess Brennan '17 would have good scoring opportunities throughout the game, but Bowdoin net minder Kerri St. Denis turned them away.
- Neither team would score in the third, and the Polar Bears would claim the 3-0 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Grant made 34 saves in net for Wesleyan.
- Denis earned her seventh win as she turned away all 23 shots she saw in the game.
- The two teams will conclude their series tomorrow at 3 p.m., which will be a 'Pink in the Rink' game as the Cardinals will be raising money for the fight against breast cancer with the proceeds going to the Joan B. Kilar Fund, which the team started in memory of the mother of Jackie Kilar '19, who lost her fight against breast cancer almost three years ago.