Score: Wesleyan 1, Amherst 1
Records: Wesleyan (7-10-5, 4-8-3 NESCAC), Amherst (11-7-5, 5-5-5 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Spurrier-Snyder Rink)
Date: Saturday, February 18th
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's ice hockey team came from behind to tie its Little Three rival Amherst College, 1-1 on Saturday afternoon at Spurrier Snyder Rink.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The visitors would get on the board first as passes from Alex Toupal and Katelyn Pantera got to Jocelyn Hunyadi who put the puck past the blocker of Allegra Grant '20 for the power play goal at 10:33 in the second period.
- The Cardinals would get even with time winding down in the period and up two skaters. Sarah Goss '19 sent a pass from behind the net to Cici Frattasio '18 who put it past Sabrina Dobbins with 36 seconds remaining in the second period.
- A late Wesleyan penalty in the third would give the Purple and White a chance to possibly win the game with time winding down in regulation, however Grant and the Cardinals' defense held strong and sent the game into overtime tied at one.
- Time would expire on the power play for Amherst with no goals.
- Sara Culhane and Caitlyn Ryan would have excellent scoring chances for the visitors in the extra frame, however Grant made impressive saves on both their shots.
- Jess Brennan '17 and Ellery Sarosi '17 would also have excellent chances to send the home team out with a victory, however Dobbins denied them.
- The two teams would end the overtime tied at one.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Frattasio now has seven goals and 13 points on the season, both which lead the team.
- Grant made 38 saves in net.
- Dobbins made 27 saves for the visitors.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Prior to the start of the game, the Cardinals honored their seven-member senior class: Rachel Aronow, Jess Brennan, Sam Curran, Abby Rutt, Ellery Sarosi and Hailey Sholty.
- These two teams will conclude their regular seasons tomorrow in Amherst, Mass. for a 3 p.m. contest.