Score: Amherst 4, Wesleyan 2
Records: Wesleyan (7-11-5, 4-9-3 NESCAC), Amherst (12-7-5, 6-5-5 NESCAC)
Location: Amherst, Mass. (Orr Rink)
Date: Sunday, February 19th
Time: 3 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's ice hockey team fell to its Little Three rival Amherst, 4-2 on Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Purple and White scored just 28 seconds into the game as Alex Toupal sent a pass to Jocelyn Hunyadi who lifted the puck over the blocker of Allegra Grant '20 for the 1-0 lead.
- The Cardinals would tie the game up as Bridget Sherman '19 laced a shot past Bailey Plaman at 18:38. Her goal was assisted by Rachel Aronow '17 and Grace Keogh '19.
- The game would not remain tied for long as the home team would regain the lead with 29 seconds remaining in the first on a goal by Jamie McNamara, which was assisted by Anne Malloy and Emma Griese.
- Amherst would extend its lead in the second on a goal by Katelyn Pantera, which was assisted by Toupal and and Katie Savage at 15:59.
- The home team got another goal at 16:58 in the third period by Savage to increase their lead to 4-1. Her goal was assisted by Sara Culhane and Miriam Eickhoff.
- Wesleyan would get a goal at 19:15 by Allie Damren '20 to bring them within two goals, however that's as close as they would get as Amherst would win by a score of 4-2.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Grant made 42 saves in the game.
- The goals by Sherman and Damren were their first on the season.
- Plaman made 25 to earn her sixth win.
- The Cardinals will take on top seeded Middlebury College in the quarterfinals on the NESCC Tournament on Saturday, February 25th at 2 p.m.
- Amherst will travel to Hartford to take on Trinity at 4 p.m. on Saturday as well.