Score: Middlebury 4, Wesleyan 1
Records: Wesleyan (7-12-5, 4-9-3 NESCAC); Middlebury (17-6-2, 11-4-1 NESCAC)
Location: Middlebury, Vt. (Kenyon Arena)
Date: Saturday, February 25th
Time: 2 p.m.
The Lead: The eighth-seeded Wesleyan University women's ice hockey team fell to top-seeded Middlebury College by a score of 4-1 in the NESCAC Quarterfinals on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Panthers opened the scoring with a Jessica Young goal at 3:55 in the first period.
- Katherine Jackson would increase the Middlebury lead to 2-0 as she scored at 18:18 in the first. Her fourth goal of the season was assisted by Carly Watson and Elizabeth Wulf.
- The Cardinals would cut the deficit in half in the second period as Cici Frattasio '18 sent a pass to Ellery Sarosi '17 who converted for her fifth goal of the season at 8:01 to make the score 2-1.
- The home team would respond as Watson took a pass from Rachel St. Claire and netted her fifth score of the year to put the Panthers up 3-1 at 11:21 in the second period.
- Middlebury would notch its fourth goal of the afternoon as Wulf, off passes from Victoria Laven and Maddie Winslow, found the back of the net at 18:41 in the second.
- Wesleyan would be held scoreless for the remainder of the game, and the Panthers advanced to the semifinals of the NESCAC tournament.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Allegra Grant '20 made 36 saves in her first NESCAC tournament appearance.
- The Cardinals held Middlebury to 1-7 on the power play.
- Julia Neuburger made 13 saves in net for the home team.