LEWISTON, Maine – The Wesleyan University women's lacrosse team opened its 2016 season Saturday afternoon on the road and lost to NESCAC foe Bates College, 12-0 at Garcelon Field.
Wesleyan: 0-1, 0-1 NESCAC
Bates: 3-0, 1-0 NESCAC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bates scored six goals in the first half off of five free position shots. Allison Dewey and Moriah Greenstein each scored twice, Camille Belletete added another score and Sydney Cowles tallied the sixth goal with 1:53 to play before the break.
- Greenstein added three more goals in the second half to up her total to five for the game. Emma Brinkman, Drew Barry and Alex Briody each scored as well to lift the Bobcats to the shutout win.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Julia Black '18 and Meredith Smith '17 each registered three shots on goal, while Rachel Aronow '17 and Emily Gretsky '16 added one caused turnover each. Nina Labovich '16 recorded 10 saves in net.
- Dewey led all players with three groundballs and four caused turnovers, and in addition to her two goals, she added an assist as well. Briody and Barry each registered an assist, and Hannah Jeffrey made 10 saves between the posts.
- As a team, Wesleyan recorded 10 groundballs, two draw controls and two caused turnovers. Bates picked up 17 groundballs, claimed 12 draw controls and caused nine turnovers.
- The Cardinals return to the field Wednesday, March 9 and will host Wheaton in non-conference action at 5 p.m.
- The Bobcats are back in action Wednesday as well and will host non-conference for Babson at 5 p.m.