Score: No. 19 William Smith 8, No. 18 Wesleyan 1
Records: Wesleyan (4-1); William Smith (4-1)
Location: Englewood, Fla. (Ann Dever Memorial Field)
Date: Thursday, March 16
Time: 11 a.m.
The Lead: The 18th-ranked Wesleyan University women's lacrosse team lost its first game of the 2017 season Thursday, as it fell to No. 19 William Smith, 8-1.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals jumped on the board first at the 18:13 mark as Abigail Horst '19 scored unassisted.
- William Smith, however, responded with four unanswered goals to close out the half.
- Alexandra Bird score two of her game-high four goals in the first.
- The Herons led at halftime, 4-1.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Bird scored twice, early in the second half, to give the Herons a 6-1 advantage. Her first goal of the half came off a free position shot at the 26:33 mark, while her other goal occurred with 22:21 to play and was unassisted.
- The Herons tacked on two more scores at the 17:08 and 15:06 marks by Blizzer Gahagan and Allie Flaherty, respectively.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Horst and Caroline Sgaglione '19 led the team with two caused turnovers each, while Leah Giacalone '17 recorded two draw controls.
- All eight of William Smith's goals were unassisted, as Bird led the way with four scores and Gahagan added two. Bird also had a game-high three draw controls alongside teammates Jackie Rogers and Laura Rollins.
- Grace McCann '17 made seven saves in net for the Cardinals, while Sarah Honan made nine for the Herons.
- Wesleyan is back in action Saturday, March 18 and will host the reigning national champions and No. 1 Middlebury College at 11 a.m. on Smith Field.