POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – Sophomore Abby Manning scored three goals and dished out three assists to lead the 18th-ranked Wesleyan University women's lacrosse team to a 15-7 win over Vassar College Tuesday night on the road.
- It didn't take the Cardinals long to get on the board as Abigail Horst '19 found Mittleman for the first goal of the game at the 26:19 mark.
- Vassar responded just under five minutes later when Storm Sideleau evened the score at 1-1.
- However, a goal from Kat Cucullo '21 just one minute and 10 seconds later jumpstarted an 8-0 run. Cucullo scored twice during the stretch and a free position goal by Mittleman at the 4:06 mark put the visitors ahead, 9-1.
- Olivia O'Loughlin ended the streak with 3:22 to play in the half, and the teams exchanged the next two goals to give Wesleyan a 10-3 lead at the break.
- The Brewers scored the first two goals of the second half to cut the deficit to five with 26:05 remaining.
- The Cardinals responded with a 2-0 run of their own as a score by Black off an assist from Manning gave Wesleyan a commanding 12-5 lead with just 13:04 remaining in regulation.
- Tessa Waters cut the deficit to six with 7:18 to play, but back-to-back goals from the Cardinals put the game away.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan also received goals from Caitlin Wood '19, Grace Andonian '20, Emma Richards '20 and Horst. Sophomore goalie Allegra Grant made six saves in net.
- Sideleau led the Brewers with three goals while O'Loughlin posted two and Kelly Pushie and Waters each scored once. Fiona MacLeod dished out two assists and goalie Emily Chancey stopped seven shots.
- The Cardinals were 20-25 on clear attempts and 4-7 on free positions shots while Vassar was 14-20 on clears and just 1-5 on free position shots. Both teams recorded 12 draw controls each.
- The Cardinals return to action Saturday, March 10 and will play at Bates. The game is scheduled to start at 12 p.m.