BRIDGEWATER, Mass. - The fourth-seeded Wesleyan University wrestling team went 2-2 in four dual meets Saturday to finish fourth overall at the 2016 New England Wrestling Association (NEWA) Dual Meet Tournament hosted by Bridgewater State University.
- In the first round of action Saturday, Wesleyan defeated 13th-seeded Trinity, 35-6, and followed up with a 28-17 win over fifth-seeded Springfield in the second round.
- In the championship round, the Cardinals fell to eventual tournament champion and top-seeded Roger Williams, 31-9. They were then edged by third-seeded Williams in the third-place match, 24-22.
- Chris Siracusa '16 went 3-0 on the day in the 157-pound weight class, with decisions in the Trinity and Roger Williams matches, and a major against Springfield.
- Taran Carr '16 recorded three pins on the day to finish 3-0 as well. Competing in the 174-pound weight class, Carr registered pins in the Trinity, Springfield and Williams matches.
- Competing at 184 pounds, Dominic Pirraglia '18 earned a 13-0 major in the Trinity match and claimed a 5-2 decision in the win against Springfield.
- In the 197-pound weight class, Isaiah Bellamy '18 excelled with three pins and a major. He recorded a pin in 0:51 against Trinity, in 2:12 versus Springfield, and in 1:04 against Roger Williams, while also earning a 12-2 major against Williams.
- Bellamy was named to the NEWA All-Tournament team for his stellar performance.
1. Roger Williams
2. Johnson & Wales
7. Rhode Island College
10. Western New England
11. Southern Maine
12. Plymouth State
13. Bridgewater State
14. Daniel Webster
- Wesleyan returns to the mat Saturday, Jan. 30 and will host Springfield College at 7 p.m.