MIDDLETOWN, Conn. ? The Wesleyan University wrestling team excelled on Sunday afternoon as the Cardinals went 3-0 on the day with wins over Norwich College (23-14), SUNY Oswego (42-6) and Lycoming College (21-16).
Prior to the start of Sunday's quad meet, Wesleyan honored its four member senior class ? Taran Carr, William Cunningham, Keonmin Hwang and Chris Siracusa. Carr went 2-1 on the day, while Siracusa went 3-0.
- The Cardinals claimed six matches to defeat Norwich, 23-14.
- Wesleyan won four matches in a row beginning with the 133-pound weight class, as Frank Crippen '17 earned a 9-2 decision. James Matias '19 followed up with a 13-4 major decision at 141 pounds, and Carter Armendarez '18 picked up another major decision (10-2) at 149 pounds. In the 157-pound weight class, Siracusa earned a 5-1 decision to give Wesleyan a 14-4 advantage.
- At 174, Carr claimed a 5-0 decision, and at 197, Devon Carrillo '18 pinned Bryan Giblin in 4:58.
SUNY OSWEGO HIGHLIGHTS
- In their second match of the day, the Cardinals cruised to a 42-6 win over the Lakers.
- Wesleyan won its first seven matches, and won four matches by pin.
- Crippen excelled in his match at 133 pounds and pinned his opponent in just 48 seconds. In the next match, Matias pinned his opponent in 2:27. Carr and Isaiah Bellamy '18 also earned pins at 174 (2:51) and heavyweight (4:34).
- Jones claimed a 2-0 decision at 125, Armendarez won a 6-2 decision at 149, Siracusa grabbed a 6-1 decision at 157, and Roy Forys '19 took the 165-pound weight class with a 5-1 decision.
- Trailing with just two matches remaining, Wesleyan rallied to defeat the Warriors, 21-16.
- Wesleyan claimed the first three matches. Dylan Jones '19 earned a 5-2 decision at 125, Crippen claimed a 6-1 decision at 133, and Matias picked up a 9-6 decision at 141.
- In the 157-pound weight class, Siracusa earned an 11-2 major decision over Christian Felstedt.
- After Lycoming claimed three matches in a row to take a 16-13 lead, Carrillo and Bellamy prevailed in their matches to give Wesleyan the win and complete the 3-0 sweep on the day.
- Carrillo pinned Skylar Ebner in 2:24 at 197, and Bellamy won a 3-2 decision at 285.
- The Cardinals are back in action Sunday, Feb. 21 and will compete at the NEWA Futures Tournament, hosted by Roger Williams University, beginning at 12 p.m.