SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ? Devon Carrillo '18 of the Wesleyan University wrestling team finished third overall in the 197-pound weight class Sunday at the 2016 NCAA Division III Regional Championships hosted by Springfield College, as the Cardinals finished seventh overall in the 18-team field. Taran Carr '16 and Chris Siracusa '16 also took fourth and fifth place in the 174-pound weight class and 157-pound weight class, respectively.
The third-place finish qualifies Carrillo for the NCAA Division III National Championship, which will be held March 11-12 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The sophomore recorded the most pins (3), of all wrestlers, in the two-day tournament to earn the Gorrarian Award.
- Carrillo entered the regionals as the fifth-seed at 197. His only loss was against the No. 1 wrestler in the country, David Welch of Roger Williams University (5-1). He defeated the fouth-seed (9-2), and pinned the third-seed (Khamri Thomas of Johnson & Wales University) in 2:38. Thomas has wins this season over reigning national champ, Joe Giaramita of SUNY Cortland, who finished second in the region.
- Carr finished fourth at 174. He lost in the semi-finals to the top-seeded and No. 2 ranked wrestler, Lou Puca of SUNY Cortland (8-6). He defeated Jaison White of Ithaca College in the consolation semi-finals, 4-2, and placed fourth after a 5-2 defeat to Dan Ressler of Roger Williams - the No. 2 seed and ninth-ranked wrestler in the country.
- Siracusa was the seventh-seed at 157 and finished fifth in a talented weight that featured the No. 1 and No. 2 wrestlers in the country in Bobby Dierna of SUNY Cortland and Jorge Lopez of Williams College, respectively. This weight also featured the No. 9 wrestler in the nation, Christopher Sullivan of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, who finished fourth.
- Carrillo shined in day one action and went 2-0 after a first round bye. He pinned Mason Sangillo of Trinity College in 1:21, and defeated Jake Ashcraft of Ithaca College by a 9-2 decision.
- Carr excelled Saturday as well, and went 2-0 with wins over Patrick Canavan of Western New England and Shaun Gillen of SUNY Oneonta at 174 pounds. Carr pinned Canavan in 3:33, and claimed a 7-2 decision over Gillen.
- Dylan Jones '19 earned a first round bye and won a 10-5 decision in the second at 125 pounds over Casey Abshire of the University of Southern Maine, but lost a sudden victory in the third.
- After a first round bye, Siracusa claimed a 6-3 decision over Thomas Grippi of Johnson & Wales in the 157-pound weight class. However, he lost his third round match to Lopez. In the consolation bracket, he defeated Chris Kelly of RIC with a 10-0 major decision.
- Isaiah Bellamy '18 went 1-1 at 285 pounds with a pin in 3:47 over Cory Tomasetti of the United States Coast Guard Academy.
- Also competing for Wesleyan were Frank Crippen '17 at 133, James Matias '19 at 141, Carter Armendarez '18 at 149, Roy Forys '19 at 165 and Dominic Pirraglia '18 at 184.
- Carrillo continued to excel in day two action. After a loss in his first match of the day, he retaliated with back-to-back wins to claim third-place and earn a trip to the national championship. The sophomore pinned Anthony Brooks of Williams in just :38, and then pinned Thomas in the third-place match (2:38).
- Carr dropped his first match to fall into the consolation bracket. He then defeated White by a 4-2 decision, but lost the third-place match to Ressler to finish fourth overall.
- Siracusa finished fifth at 157 as he went 2-1 on Sunday with a 6-2 decision over Graysen DeLuca of WPI, and claimed the fifth-place match over Eamonn Gaffney of Ithaca.
FINAL TEAM SCORES
1. Ithaca - 144.0
2. Roger Williams ? 136.5
3. SUNY Cortland ? 119.0
4. Johnson & Wales ? 104.5
5. Williams ? 99.5
6. WPI ? 61.0
7. Wesleyan ? 53.5
8. Rhode Island College ? 51.0
9. Coast Guard ? 50.0
10. Springfield ? 48.0
11. Norwich ? 41.5
12. Southern Maine ? 26.0
13. SUNY Oneonta ? 23.0
14. Western New England ? 18.5
15. Plymouth State ? 18.0
16. Trinity ? 11.5
17. Daniel Webster ? 6.0
18. Bridgewater State ? 5.5