Event: Doug Parker Invitational
Result: 5th of 16; 94.0 points
Location: Springfield, Mass. (Springfield College)
Date: Saturday, November 19, 2016
The Lead: The Wesleyan University wrestling team finished fifth overall out of 16 teams Saturday at the Doug Parker Invitational. The Cardinals totaled 94 points, as James Matias '19 highlighted the day with a second place finish in the 141-pound bracket.
- 125 – Tristan Stetson '20 finished 4-2 and reached the finals of the consolation bracket to claim fourth overall out of 20 competitors, while Amir Daouk '20 and Zack Murillo '19 went 2-2 and 1-1, respectively.
- 133 – Dylan Jones '19 took fifth-place with a pin over his opponent from Centenary College as he finished with a 3-2 record on the day.
- 141 – Matias went 4-1 on the day, with two pins, to take second-place in a 23-man field - his second final in as many weeks. He lost 3-2 in double overtime to NCAA Division II opponent Dylan Nace, the No. 1 seed from East Strousburg. Shane Ross went 3-3 to claim sixth.
- 157 – Robert Rosenberg '17 finished 1-2.
- 165 – Roy Forys '19 went 1-2.
- 174 – Junior co-captain Dominic Pirraglia posted a 3-2 record on the day.
- 184 – Matt Winchester '18 went 2-2 overall.
- 197 – Zachary Turner '20 finished with a 1-1 mark.
- 285 – Junior co-captain Isaiah Bellamy excelled as he went 5-1 overall, with two pins, to claim third-place in the 24-man field. His only loss came in double OT to Devon Lozado of Springfield Tech, the No. 2 seed, missing on the winning takedown. Bellamy bounced back with a pin over his opponent from Southern Maine, and then defeated the No. 1 seed Jenard Rosemond of Division II American International College, 2-1, to take third.
- The Cardinals return to the mat next Saturday, Dec. 3 as they head to the RIT Invitational beginning at 9:30 a.m.