Event: Scott Viera Invitational
Result: 3rd of 10; 92.0 points
Location: Bristol, R.I. (Roger Williams)
Date: Saturday, January 7, 2017
The Lead: The Wesleyan University wrestling team, led by Devon Carrillo '17, claimed third place at the Scott Viera Invitational Saturday with 92 points. Carrillo was crowned the 197-pound champion with a 13-6 decision over Cody Carrillo of Plymouth State in the finals, to finish a perfect 3-0 on the day
- In addition to Carrillo's first-place finish at 197, Amir Daouk '20 and Shane Ross '19 finished second overall at 125 and 141, respectively. Daouk went 3-1 at 125 and Ross finished 4-1 at 141.
- Two others placed for the Cardinals, as co-captain Dominic Pirraglia '18 claimed third-place at 174 with a 3-1 record and Dylan Jones finished fourth overall at 133 with a mark of 2-2.
- At 149, Carter Armendarez '18 went 3-1 in the championship bracket before losing his lone consolation match to finish 3-2 on the day.
- Matt Winchester '18 finished 2-2 at 184 to round out the top highlights for the Cardinals.
- Wesleyan is back in action Friday, Jan. 13 for the two-day Whitehill Duals in Williamsport, Pa.