Event: Whitehill Duals
Location: Williamsport, Pa. (Lycoming College)
Date: Friday-Saturday, January 13-14, 2017
The Lead: Devon Carrillo '17 of the Wesleyan University wrestling team was named an All-Tournament Team selection at weight 197 to highlight the weekend for the Cardinals at the two-day Whitehill Duals this weekend.
DAY 1 HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan, placed in Group D, went 1-4 on the weekend with losses to Lycoming (32-14), Waynesburg (23-22), Millikin (31-18) and Springfield (30-9). The Cardinals lone win was a 33-17 victory over Trine.
- In Friday's match against Lycoming, Amir Daouk '20, Dylan Jones '19 and Carrillo picked up wins. Daouk won by technical fall at 125, Jones claimed a 14-3 major decision at 133, and Carillo won by technical fall as well.
- Against Waynesburg, Jones picked up another win by forfeit. James Matias '19 claimed an 8-0 major decision at 141 and Carter Armendarez '18 pinned Landon Lohr in 5:21 at 157. Junior co-captain Dominic Pirraglia won a 2-1 decision at 174, and Carrillo claimed a 4-1 decision over Adam Rigney.
- In the loss to Millikin, Wesleyan picked up wins from Matias, Armendarez, Pirraglia and Carrillo. Matias won an 8-3 decision, Armendarez earned another pin in 3:29, Pirraglia claimed a 6-5 decision and Carrillo pinned Evan Betz in 1:37.
DAY 2 HIGHLIGHTS:
- Competing in the 13-16 Place bracket, Wesleyan claimed a win over Trine with help from Zack Murillo '19, Jones, Matias, Armendarez, Pirraglia and Carillo. Murillo won a 4-3 decision at 125, Jones and Matias won by forfeit, Armendarez pinned Caleb Maddox in 1:40, Pirraglia pinned Kevin Groves in 1:38 and Carrillo pinned Anthony Neal in 0:44.
- In the loss to Springfield, Matias earned a 10-6 decision, Armendarez won a 5-0 decision and Carrillo claimed an 8-5 decision.
- Carrillo went a perfect 5-0 with two pins at 197 en route to All-Tournament Team honors, while Armendarez finished 4-1 at 149 with three pins and Matias went 4-0 at 141.
- Additionally, Pirraglia finished 3-2 at 174.
- The Cardinals return to the mats Sunday, Jan. 22 and will compete at the NEWA Dual Championship hosted by Johnson & Wales University.