Event: NEWA Dual Championship
Result: 6th of 16 teams
Location: Providence, R.I. (Johnson & Wales University)
Date: Sunday, January 22, 2017
The Lead: Entering the NEWA Duals as the No. 8 seed, the Wesleyan University wrestling team went 2-2 to finish sixth overall in the 16-team field, as Devon Carrillo '17 was named to the NEWA All-Tournament Team. The Cardinals upset Little Three rival and No. 5 seed Williams in a thriller, 23-21, and defeated ninth-seeded Norwich, 23-21. The two losses came against eventual champion and top-seeded Johnson & Wales (47-4), and seventh-seeded Southern Maine (31-13).
- Dominic Pirraglia '18 and Isaiah Bellamy '17 had two huge pins for the Cardinals at 174 and 197, respectively, in the win over Williams. Pirraglia pinned Max Odell in 3:34 and Bellamy pinned Sebastian Dziadkiewicz in 5:12. Devon Carrillo '17 also recorded a technical fail at 197.
- Carrillo and Carter Armendarez '18 both picked up three wins on the day, as Carrillo finished a perfect 3-0 to earn a spot on the NEWA All-Tournament team, and Armendarez posted a 3-1 mark at 149.
- Carrillo won by technical fail (16-1) over Martin Strenk of Williams, a pin in 1:15 over Joseph Hennessey of Norwich, and a pin in 1:26 against Steve Corio of Southern Maine. Armendarez claimed a 6-1 decision over Yo Akiyama of Williams, a 14-5 major decision over DJ Tirelli of Johnson & Wales, and a 19-3 technical fail over Sean Randles of Norwich.
- James Matias '19 went 2-2 on the day at 141 with a 4-3 decision against Southern Maine and a 16-5 major decision in the win over Norwich.
- The Cardinals return to the mats Saturday, Jan. 28 for a dual-match on the road against Springfield College beginning at 7 p.m.