Event: Northeast Regional Championships
Result: T-7th of 19 (59.5 points)
Location: Providence, R.I. (Roger Williams University)
Date: Sat.-Sun., Feb. 25-26, 2017
The Lead: Devon Carrillo '17 and Carter Armendarez '18 of the Wesleyan University wrestling team finished second at 197 and third at 149, respectively, to qualify for the NCAA Division III Championships, as they helped guide the Cardinals to a seventh-place finish at the Northeast Regionals this weekend.
- Wesleyan tied for seventh overall alongside No. 14 U.S. Coast Guard Academy with 59.5 points, and placed ahead of Little Three rival Williams who finished 11th with 49.5 points. No. 3 Johnson & Wales won the tournament with 171.5 points followed by No. 4 Ithaca (139.5) in second and No. 15 SUNY Cortland (111.5) in third.
- Carrillo, the No. 1 seed at 197 who finished third overall at the regionals a year ago, dropped his first match of the season in a rematch against Carlos Toribio from Ithaca. After winning four straight matches, the two met in the finals as Toribio edged Carrillo in an overtime thriller, 10-8. Carrillo defeated Toribio earlier this year by a 13-11 decision on Saturday, Feb. 4.
- A dual-sport athlete in his second wrestling season, Carrillo is returning to the NCAA Championships for the second year in a row. He is an incredible 22-1 overall.
- Armendarez went 4-1 in the two-day tournament and defeated Tyler Marsh of WPI in the third-place match by a 3-2 decision. The junior qualified for the NCAA Tournament for the first time in his career.
- At 174, junior co-captain Dominic Pirraglia went 2-3 and finished sixth overall. In the fifth-place match, he lost to Michael Palomba from the U.S. Coast Guard Academy by injury default.
- Fellow classmate and team captain, Isaiah Bellamy, finished sixth overall as well as he went 2-3 at 285. Bellamy also dropped the fifth-place match due to injury default against Jonah Aurelio of Johnson & Wales.
- Rounding out the top performances on the day was Dylan Jones '18, who went 3-2 at 133.
- The NCAA Division III Championships are scheduled to take place in Lacrosse, Wis. and will begin at 11 a.m. on Friday, March 10 and will wrap up Saturday, March 11.