ROCHESTER, N.Y. – Isaiah Bellamy '18 was named the 2017 Tony Wallace Award winner at the RIT Invitational Saturday, given to the tournament's most outstanding wrestler, as he helped guide the Wesleyan University wrestling team to a second-place finish out of 11 teams. Bellamy, Devon Carrillo '18E and Zack Murillo '19 led the way for the Cardinals as they each won their respective weight class.
Wesleyan finished second at the RIT Invitational with 113 points. WPI won the tournament with 150.5 and SUNY Oneonta took third with 111. Rounding out the top-five were John Carroll (109.5) and RIT (99).
- Bellamy's senior season is off to a terrific start as he went 4-0 on the day to win the Heavyweight class. He claimed the Tony Wallace Award after pinning the third-ranked HWT in the country and two-time All-American James Bethel of Oneonta in 4:17.
- Carrillo went 4-0 as well as he won a 5-2 decision over Michael Curtis of WPI in the finals to claim the 197-pound weight class.
- Murillo claimed the 125-pound championship as he posted a perfect 4-0 mark on the day as well. He defeated teammate Amir Daouk '20 in the semifinals in double overtime before claiming a 7-6 decision over Hunter Howland of Oswego in the finals. For Daouk, it was his only loss of the day.
- Additionally, Carter Armendarez '18 finished third at 149 with a 4-1 record. He lost in overtime in the semifinals but bounced back to claim the third-place match with a 9-3 decision over Peter Nash of WPI.
- Freshman Simon Chee went 4-2 overall at 184 to claim fourth-place.
- At 157, Ed Pierce '18 went 4-2 for top five/six in the weight while James Matias '19 did the same at 149.
- The Cardinals are off for a month before returning to action Saturday, Jan. 6 for three dual-matches at Trinity against the Bantams, WPI and Roger Williams.