HARTFORD, Conn. – The 20th-ranked Wesleyan University wrestling team went 2-1 Saturday at Trinity College to open its 2017-18 dual match season. The Cardinals defeated the Bantams, 33-11, and 19th-ranked WPI, 22-21, and were edged by 18th-ranked Roger Williams, 22-18.
- Wesleyan was led by James Matias '19 (141), Dominic Pirraglia '18 (174), Devon Carrillo '17E (197) and Isaiah Bellamy '18 (285) as they each went a perfect 3-0 on the day.
- In the win over Trinity, the Cardinals picked up wins at 125, 133, 141, 157, 174, 197, and 285. Matias defeated Drew Saccone 5-3 to increase Wesleyan's lead to 12-0. Pirraglia earned a pin in 4:20, Carrillo pinned his opponent in 4:27, and Bellamy rounded out the scoring with a pin in 2:50.
- In the Roger Williams match, Matias, Pirraglia, Carrillo, and Bellamy claimed the only wins for the Cardinals. Matias defeated Nick Wagner 6-2 to get Wesleyan on the board (7-3). Pirraglia defeated Anthony Malfitano, 12-7, and Carrillo pinned Mason Calise in 1:10. Bellamy won by forfeit.
- In the final match of the day, Wesleyan defeated WPI by the NCAA third criteria tiebreaker. Carter Armendarez '18 also picked up a win for the Cardinals at 149 by defeating Jack Nigro, 5-1. Matias defeated Andrew Ellis, 5-2, Pirraglia pinned Mike Ilic at 2:48, Carrillo defeated Michael Curtis, 6-2, and Bellamy pinned Austin Shrewsbury in 1:07.
- Wesleyan is back in action Friday, Jan. 12 for the two-day Budd Whitehill National Duals at Lycoming College.