WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. – The 18th-ranked Wesleyan University wrestling team went 2-3 in dual matches at the two-day Budd Whitehill National Duals hosted by Lycoming College. Amir Daouk '20 highlighted the event for the Cardinals as he was named to the All-Tournament Team representing the 125-pound weight class, while Devon Carrillo '17E and Isaiah Bellamy '18 both went a perfect 5-0 this weekend.
DAY 1 HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan went 1-2 in Group C during Day 1 action with a Round 1 loss to SUNY-Oswego (21-17), followed by a 30-12 win over Ohio Northern in Round 2, and wrapping up with a 23-17 loss against The College of New Jersey (TCNJ).
- Daouk was a perfect 2-0 on the day with wins over Seth Transue (Ohio Northern) and Jacob Falleni (TCNJ).
- Carrillo and Bellamy were both 3-0 in their respective weight classes.
- Carrillo pinned Austin Windle of Ohio Northern in 0:37 and also defeated Christopher Marchena of SUNY-Oswego by an 18-2 technical fail. He claimed a win by forfeit against TCNJ.
- Bellamy earned two pins on the day against Ryan Kamer of Oswego (1:43) and Nathan Barcaskey of Ohio Northern (1:19) while also earning an 18-2 technical fail over Kyle Cocozza (TCNJ).
- The two losses dropped Wesleyan into the 9th-12th place bracket for Day 2.
DAY 2 HIGHLIGHTS:
- In the first match of the day, the Cardinals defeated Wisconsin-Stevens Point 20-17.
- Wesleyan picked up wins from Daouk, James Matias '19 (141), Dominic Pirraglia '18 (174), Carrillo and Bellamy.
- The win advanced the Cardinals to the finals of the 9th-12th bracket where Wesleyan fell short against the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), 24-17.
- In addition to getting wins from Daouk, Carrillo, and Bellamy, Matias and Carter Armendarez '18 also registered victories.
- Wesleyan returns to the mat Sunday, Jan. 21 to compete in the NEWA Headlock for Hunger Duals at the Providence Career & Technical Academy beginning at 10 a.m.