MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Tied at 13-13, Devon Carrillo '17E and Isaiah Bellamy '18 sealed the win for the Wesleyan University wrestling team with back-to-back pins as the Cardinals defeated Springfield College in their first home match of the 2017-18 season, 25-13.
Wesleyan is now 7-6 overall in dual matches this season. With their fifth consecutive loss, the Pride falls to 8-8 on the year.
- The Cardinals won the first three matches of the day as Zack Murillo '19 earned a major decision at 125, Amir Daouk '20 claimed a 7-6 decision at 133, and James Matias '19 won by decision at 141. Daouk ranks No. 3 in the New England Wrestling Association (NEWA) rankings at 125 and Matias ranks No. 6 at 141.
- Ryan Peters of Springfield claimed 149 with a decision before Ed Pierce increased the Cardinals lead to 13-3 with a win at 157.
- Springfield rallied with three consecutive wins at 165, 174, and 184 to even the score at 13-13. However, Carrillo pinned Jake Kennedy at 197 in an incredible 31 seconds. Carrillo ranks No. 1 in the NEWA rankings and No. 5 in the country.
- The heavyweight matchup featured Bellamy, the No. 1-ranked HWT in the New England Wrestling Association (NEWA), versus Joe Fusco, the No. 5-ranked HWT, and Bellamy cruised to victory once again as the senior pinned Fusco in 48 seconds. He is now a perfect 25-0 on the year with 17 pins to lead the country.
- Wesleyan is back in action next Saturday, Feb. 3 and will remain home as it hosts a quad-match against Williams, SUNY Oneonta, and Ithaca beginning at 1 p.m.