ROCHESTER, N.Y. – The Wesleyan University wrestling team, led by Roy Forys and Zack Murrillo, placed fifth overall out of 16 teams at the RIT Invitational on Saturday. The Cardinals scored 86 points and placed ahead of Williams who finished sixth with 82. WPI won the tournament followed by John Carroll and RIT.
- Forys continues to shine early on in the 2018-19 season. The junior won the 165-pound title as he defeated Seth Winkle of John Carroll by a 5-1 decision in the championship match. Forys was 5-0 on the day with two pins and three wins by decision.
- Murillo finished second overall at 125. He went 3-1 on the day with his lone loss coming against Diego Santiago of New England College in the finals by a 3-2 decision. Murillo claimed two wins by decision and one by technical fall.
- Simon Chee took home fourth-place honors at 197. The sophomore won his first two matches by pins but lost in the quarterfinals to Sam Weinger of RIT by a 7-5 decision. He finished 5-1 on the day.
- At 174, Marco Gaita finished sixth overall. He injury defaulted out of the tournamanet and finished 2-0 on the day.
- Greg Fischer (125), James Matias (141), Shane Ross (149), Aaron Goldman (157), Duncan Kreutter (184) and Harrison Karp (285) all recorded points for Wesleyan as well.
- The Cardinals are off for a month before returning to action on Sunday, Jan. 6 where they will compete in the Scott Viera Invite hosted by Roger Williams.