MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan wrestling team will compete in the 2019 NCAA Division III Northeast Regional Wrestling Championships on Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 23-24 in the Wildcat Center on the campus of Johnson & Wales University in Providence, R.I.
The opening round of the regionals will begin Saturday at 11 a.m. Sunday's semifinals and consolation quarterfinals begin at 10 a.m. with championship and third place matches starting at approximately 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for students, senior citizens and children ages 5-12, and free for children under five.
Seventeen teams will compete in the Northeast Regional Championships, which is an NCAA qualifying tournament. The top three placers in each weight class qualify for the NCAA Championships in Roanoke, Va. (March 8-9). The region is made up of teams from the New England Wrestling Association (NEWA) and New York University.
- The Northeast Regional will feature five 2018 All-Americans, 16 top-10 nationally-ranked wrestlers, and three NWCA top-25 teams (No. 3 Johnson & Wales, No. 17 NYU, No. 18 Coast Guard).
- The Cardinals enter the tournament with six regionally-ranked wrestlers; Zack Murillo (125), Tristan Stetson (133), James Matias (141), Shane Ross (149), Roy Forys (165), and Simon Chee (197).
- Murillo enters the tournament as the No. 3 seed, which is the highest among all Wesleyan wrestlers. He recently upset the No. 1 ranked wrestler in the country at 125, Peter del Gallo of Southern Maine, with a 3-2 decision at home on Feb. 10.
- Chee is the No. 4 seed at 197, Forys has excelled with a 31-3 record at 165 and is the No. 5 seed, while Stetson and Matias garnered the No. 6 in their respective weight classes and Ross took the No. 7 seed at 149.
- Forys leads the team with 11 pins and 31 victories. Earlier this season, he was named the Most Outstanding Wrestler at the Doug Parker Invite en route to NEWA Co-Wrestler of the Week honors.
HEAD COACH DREW BLACK:
"The training and preparation have been outstanding. Our team has a focused calmness about them, but also itching to get on the mat and compete. The team is centered on their best positions, opening up, and wrestling to win. Confident, Relaxed, Aggressive, is what we want from each of the Cardinals each and every match this weekend. It is all about doing what we do great!"
WESLEYAN'S STARTING 10:
125 | Zack Murillo (24-7)
133 | Tristan Stetson (13-7, 13-5 @ 133)
141 | James Matias (14-8)
149 | Shane Ross (21-11)
157 | Aaron Goldman (19-15)
165 | Roy Forys (31-3)
174 | Marco Gaita (14-10)
184 | Duncan Kreutter (9-16)
197 | Simon Chee (22-6)
285 | Harrison Karp (9-13)