Score: Eastern 1, Wesleyan 0
Records: Wesleyan: 2-3-2 (0-1-2 NESCAC), Eastern Conn.: 7-2-0 (2-0 LEC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Jackson Field)
Date: Tuesday, September 27th
Time: 4:30 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's soccer team suffered a 1-0 defeat against Eastern Connecticut State University on Tuesday afternoon at Jackson Field. Zoe Cassels-Brown '20 made seven saves in the game for the Cardinals, while Mo Nelson '19 and Victoria Matthews '17 each took three shots in the match.
- The teams played a scoreless first half, with the Warriors getting the best scoring chances off back-to-back corner kicks, but the Wesleyan defense stood tall, and Cassels-Brown was able to deny both shot attempts.
- Emily Becher broke the scoreless tie with her unassisted goal at 61:52 in the game.
- The Cardinals pressured the Warriors defense and goalkeeper, Kayla Labrecque, but were unable to convert, as they outshot Eastern in the second half, 5-3.
- Matthews had the best opportunity to tie the game in the second half, but her point blank shot at 83:54 was stopped by a diving Labrecque, and the visitors would claim the 1-0 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Eastern held a slight edge in shots at 10-8, and also held the advantage in corner kicks at 10-4.
- Labrecque made six saves to earn the shutout victory.
- Wesleyan put six shots on net, three by Nelson, two by Matthews and one from Olivia Gorman '19.
- The Cardinals return to the pitch on Saturday, October 1st as they will host NESCAC rival Hamilton College for an 11 a.m. contest.
- The Warriors are also back in action on Saturday, and will welcome Western Conn. St. to Nevers Field for a 1 p.m. match.