Score: Colby 1, Wesleyan 0
Records: Wesleyan (2-5-3, 0-3-3 NESCAC); Colby (5-5-0, 1-5-0 NESCAC)
Location: Waterville, Maine (Colby Soccer Field)
Date: Saturday, October 8th
Time: 11 a.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's soccer team suffered a tough 1-0 loss on the road to NESCAC foe Colby College on Saturday morning.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Mules would score the lone goal at the 22-minute mark, as Emily Martin set up Aliza Van Martin for the score.
- The Cardinals would put together some great scoring chances in the second-half, as Meg Harrop's '19 shot at the 47-minute mark was stopped by Colby goaltender Samantha Rizzo.
- Nola Neri '20, Lauren Goetzman '19 and Sarah Sylla '17 would all get good scoring chances as well in the half, but were all denied the tying goal by Rizzo.
- Grace Sanford '20 had a solid look with just about 40 seconds left in the game, but her shot was blocked by the Colby defense, and the Mules would claim the 1-0 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mo Nelson '19 led Wesleyan with six shots in the game, while Sylla led the team in shots on goal with four.
- The Cardinals offense was relentless, taking 29 shots in the game, with 15 of them on net. Their defense was just as good, allowing just nine shots, with only three on cage.
- The teams each took four corner kicks in the game.
- Claire Coyle '20 took the loss, allowing the one goal while making two saves.
- Rizzo made 15 saves to earn the shutout win.
- Wesleyan will be back in action on Wednesday, October 12th, as they will host St. Joseph (Conn.) at 4 p.m.
- Colby returns to the field on Tuesday, October 11th as they play Maine-Farmington at 3:30 p.m.