Score: Amherst 2, Wesleyan 0
Records: Wesleyan (3-8-3, 0-6-3 NESCAC), Amherst (11-2-1, 7-1-1 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Jackson Field)
Date: Saturday, October 22nd
Time: 12 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's soccer team fell to Little Three rival Amherst College, 2-0, on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The two NESCAC rivals played a scoreless first half.
- The Cardinals held the advantage in shots in the half with seven.
- Liz Young '19 had the only shot on goal in the half for the home team.
- Sophia Linguiti '19 had a good opportunity to score, but her shot hit the crossbar, and the game remained scoreless.
- Wesleyan would open the second half with three consecutive solid scoring opportunities.
- Lauren Goetzman '19 and Nicole Brodkowitz '20 would have their shots blocked by the defense, while Linguiti would have her shot denied by Erica Sanders.
- The Purple and White would break the scoreless tie at 53:49 as Emily Hester took a Maeve McNamara pass and put the ball past Meg Hanan '18 for the 1-0 lead.
- Hannah Guzzi would increase the Purple and White's lead to two with her unassisted goal at 61:51.
- Amherst would hold Wesleyan scoreless and go onto claim the 2-0 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Cardinals held the advantage in shots at 19-15.
- Corner kicks were tied a six a piece.
- Both Hanan and Sanders made seven saves in the match.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Prior to the start of today's game, Wesleyan honored its five senior class members - Anne Coyle, Chrissy Gonzalez-Gandolfi, Victoria Matthews, Carly Swenson and Sarah Sylla.
- The Cardinals will wrap up their 2016 regular season on Tuesday, October 25th as they will host Connecticut College at 3:15 p.m.
- The Purple and White will also wrap up the 2016 regular season on Tuesday as they will host Trinity at 3:30 p.m.