AMHERST, Mass. – The 20th-ranked Wesleyan University women's squash team went 1-1 on the first day of the Pioneer Valley Invitational hosted by Amherst College Friday. The Cardinals defeated No. 30 Haverford College with a 9-0 sweep in their first match but fell short against No. 17 Dickinson College later in the day, 6-3. Wesleyan is now 6-5 overall this season.
- The Cardinals swept all but two matches against Haverford, with Laila Samy '18 continuing her dominance in the top spot. She defeated Isabelle Gotuaco by scores of 11-4, 11-6, 11-4 while Aditi Prasad '21 claimed wins of 11-5, 11-3, 11-3 over Kaitlin Reese in the No. 2 position.
- Natasha Feenstra '21, Nina Premutico '20 and Ashley Morse '19 all claimed their matches by a similar score of 11-2, 11-4, 11-2 in the No. 5, 6 and 9 courts, respectively.
- Samy, Prasad and Premutico earned Wesleyan's three wins against Dickinson as well, as the trio finished a perfect 2-0 on the day.
- Samy claimed a 3-0 sweep in the No. 1 spot over Hedvika Suchankova by scores of 11-7, 11-3, 11-5 while Prasad swept Eloise Nimoityn in the No. 2 position by marks of 11-6, 11-2, 11-7.
- Premutico claimed a 3-1 victory in the No. 6 spot as she defeated Stuart Lemay by scores of 11-3, 11-6, 7-11, 11-2.
- The Cardinals are back in action tomorrow, Jan. 20 and will host Bowdoin at 3 p.m.