MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan University women's swimming & diving team compiled 10 top-three finishes on Friday evening during a 197-58 setback to Connecticut College, as Caroline Murphy, Hannah O'Halloran and Maela Whitcomb each registered a pair of top-three finishes on the individual side for the Cardinals at the Wesleyan Natatorium in Middletown, Conn.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cardinals compiled a trio of top-three finishes in relay events, as Murphy, senior captain Zoe Kerrich, Whitcomb and freshman Zoe Darmon finished second overall during the 200-yard medley relay, opening up the meet with a time of 1:50.85.
- During the 200 freestyle relay, the Cardinals' "A" team of Murphy, Darmon, O'Halloran and sophomore Grace Middleton clocked a time of 1:40.27, which put the group in the No. 2 slot. Kerrich, Whitcomb, and juniors Julia Dietz and Kylie Han finished 1.36 seconds behind the "A" group, grabbing third-place recognition.
- Murphy was exceptional during the 200 freestyle, grabbing second-place acknowledgement (2:00.43), and then the Gardiner, N.Y. native was the third swimmer to touch the wall in the 200 backstroke (2:12.57).
- During the 100 backstroke, O'Halloran was the second swimmer to finish the race, clocking in with a time of 1:00.36, and then she took her talents to the 500 freestyle, where she grabbed a third-place finish (5:24.05).
- Whitcomb, who hails from Northampton, Mass., was the second-place performer in the 100 butterfly (59.26) and during the 200 butterfly (2:14.12).
- Junior Bella Wiener was impressive for Wesleyan, as she earned a third-place finish during the 100 backstroke, finishing right behind O'Halloran with a time of 1:02.21.
- The Cardinals will host Senior Day festivities on Saturday, as they will compete against Coast Guard Academy and Fairfield, starting at 1 p.m. in Middletown, Conn.