MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan University women's swimming & diving team recorded a trio of first-place finishes during Senior Day on Saturday afternoon, as the Cardinals defeated Coast Guard Academy, 184-113, and fell short to Fairfield University, 196-101, at the Wesleyan Natatorium in Middletown, Conn.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cardinals honored their four outstanding senior captains in Lauren Conte, Zoe Kerrich, Emily Kessler and Corinne Noonan during the meet, as the four women have exemplified what it means to true student-athletes in and out of the water.
- Sophomore Caroline Murphy grabbed first-place accolades during the 100-yard backstroke (59.35), while sophomore Hannah O'Halloran (2:10.79) and junior Devon Cooper (235.60) placed first overall during the 200 backstroke and 3-meter diving events, respectively.
- Murphy additionally earned a runner-up performance during the 100 freestyle (54.68), finishing 0.05 seconds behind the first-place finisher. Cooper, who hails from Salinas, Calif., took home second-place honors off the 1-meter board (231.30).
- During the 100 backstroke and 200 backstroke events, the Cardinals claimed the top-three spots. Junior Julia Dietz (1:00.77) and sophomore Alexa Code (1:01.99) placed second and third, respectively, during the 100 backstroke, and junior Bella Wiener (2:14.40) and Dietz (2:14.56) checked in at the No. 2 and 3 slots, respectively, in the 200 backstroke.
- Junior Maela Whitcomb represented the Cardinals well in the 1,000 freestyle (10:47.94) with a third-place effort, and then earned another third-place nod in the 500 freestyle (5:18.49).
- Kessler was the third-place finisher during the 1-meter diving event, boasting a score of 216.05, and junior Erin Angell earned third-place recognition off the 3-meter board (214.25).
- During the 200 medley relay, Murphy, Kerrich, sophomore Grace Middleton and freshman Zoe Darmon collected a second-place finish with a time of 1:51.23. Murphy, Dietz, Darmon and Middleton teamed up for the 200 freestyle relay, finishing third overall with a time of 1:40.52.
- The Cardinals will prepare for the NESCAC Championship, which ranges from Feb. 16-18 at Williams in Williamstown, Mass.