MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan women's swimming and diving team opened the year with a 183-94 victory over Hamilton on Saturday. The Cardinals were again led by Caroline Murphy and Mengmeng Gibbs as both were victorious in all four of their events.
- First-year Gibbs placed first in the 25-yard breast (14.25), 50-yard breast (31.90) and the 100-yard IM (1:02.37).
- Murphy was victorious in both of her individual races, posting times of 11.54 (25-yard free), 27.66 (50-yard back).
- Off the 3-meter board, Talia Lanckton earned her first collegiate win with a mark of 169.86. She also placed third off the 1-meter with a mark of 194.03.
- Rachel Townsend earned her first collegiate win, placing first in the 25-yard fly with a time of 12.80. Townsend also came in second in the 50-yard breast with a time of 33.02 and third in the 50-yard fly (27.86).
- Senior Maela Whitcomb earned first place honors in the 500-yard free (5:25.39) and the 50-yard fly (26.90), while also coming in third in the 100-yard IM with a time of 1:04.55.
- Devon Cooper placed first off the 1-meter board with a mark of 221.92.
- Hannah O'Halloran earned the top spot in the 200-yard free with a time of 2:01.55, while placing third in the 25-yard back (13.95) and the 50-yard back (29.35).
- Grace Middleton clocked in at 25.94 in the 50-yard free, which was good for first place.
- Julia Dietz earned two second-place finishes, clocking in at 29.03 in the 50-yard back and 13.87 in the 25-yard back.
- Kylie Han earned a pair of second-place finishes, recording times of 15.22 (25-yard breast) and 25.99 (50-yard free).
- Both relay teams took home first place finishes today. The 100-yard free relay composed of Dietz, Middleton, Murphy and O'Halloran clocked in at 47.12, while the 100-yard medley (Gibbs, Middleton, Murphy and Whitcomb) recorded a time of 49.75.
- Wesleyan will be idle next week as they head to Florida for a spring training trip. They will be back in action on January 19th when they head to Springfield for a dual meet against the host school and Roger Williams.