MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The eighth-ranked Wesleyan University women's tennis team cruised to a 9-0 sweep in NESCAC action Tuesday night, defeating Bates College on the John Wood Memorial Tennis Courts.
Wesleyan: 5-4, 2-4 NESCAC
Bates: 4-12, 1-5 NESCAC
- The No. 1 doubles duo of Eudice Chong '18 and Aashli Budhiraja '18 earned an 8-3 victory over Elizabeth Erbafina and Bella Stone.
- In No. 2 doubles, Victoria Yu '19 and Helen Klass-Warch '18 cruised to an 8-1 win against Maisie Silverman and Kate Rosenthal.
- Nicole MCann '18 and Maddie James '16 claimed an 8-5 win against Emma Blakeley and Emma Mattson.
- The Cardinals claimed singles play decisively.
- Chong, Klass-Warch and Budhiraja all picked up wins from the No. 1, 2 and 3 positions, respectively. Chong won the first set 6-0 and had a 1-0 lead in the second set before the match was retired. Klass-Warch won 6-2, 6-3, and Budhiraja claimed victories of 6-2, 6-1.
- McCann picked up a win in No. 4 singles by scores of 6-3, 6-2 over Kate Rosenthal, while Dasha Dubinsky '18 defeated Olivia Voccola in No. 5 singles, 6-2, 6-2.
- Ella Lindholm-Uzzi '17 dropped her first 6-3 to Hannah Londoner in the No. 6 spot, but recovered with wins of 6-3 and 10-8 to earn the win.
- The Cardinals are back on the court Saturday, April 23 and will head to Colby College. The match is scheduled to start at 3 p.m.
- Bates returns to action Thursday, April 21 and will play non-conference opponent Babson on the road at a time to be determined.