Scores: Wesleyan 8, MIT 1
Records: Wesleyan (6-0); MIT (11-4)
Location: Middletown, Conn.
Date: Saturday, April 8
The Lead: With an 8-1 win Saturday afternoon, the sixth-ranked Wesleyan University women's tennis team improved to 6-0 on the season as it defeated No. 21 MIT inside Bacon Field House.
- The Cardinals swept doubles play to take a 3-0 lead in the match.
- The duo of Eudice Chong '18 and Victoria Yu '19, and the doubles team of Helen Klass-Warch '18 and Nicole McCann '18 both won by scores of 8-3 in the No. 1 and No. 2 spots, respectively.
- Aashli Budhiraja '18 and Julia Kim '20 took No. 3 doubles, 8-2.
- Chong remains perfect in singles play (5-0) this season as she won decisively in the No. 1 spot. The junior took the first set 6-2, followed by a 6-0 win in the second.
- Yu also remains perfect this season (6-0) as she swept her opponent in No. 2 singles, 6-0, 6-0, and Budhiraja claimed a decisive 6-1, 6-1 win in No. 3 singles.
- In the No. 5 position, McCann claimed a 6-2, 6-1 win to improve her singles play record to 5-0.
- Dasha Dubinsky '18 also cruised to wins of 6-1, 6-4 to take No. 6 singles.
HEAD COACH MIKE FRIED:
- "We played a great match across the board today. We're getting a little bit better each match and are excited for the rest of the season!"
- Wesleyan returns to action Sunday, April 9 for a difficult NESCAC matchup against archrival and No. 3 Williams. The match is scheduled to start at 2 p.m.