Scores: Williams 6, Wesleyan 3
Records: Wesleyan (6-1, 1-1 NESCAC); Williams (8-4, 2-1 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn.
Date: Sunday, April 9
The Lead: The sixth-ranked Wesleyan University women's tennis team lost its first dual match of the 2016-17 season today as the Cardinals fell to No. 3 Williams College, 6-3.
- Eudice Chong '18 and Victoria Yu '19, ranked No. 4 in the country, earned Wesleyan's only doubles win as they claimed the No. 1 position against the 16th-ranked duo of Hannah Atkinson and Chloe Henderson, 8-3.
- Chong and Yu picked up the only wins for Wesleyan in singles play as well.
- Chong, ranked No. 3 in the country, defeated No. 32 Leah Bush in a thriller. After falling behind in the first set, 6-1, she responded with wins of 7-5 and 10-2.
- In No. 2 singles, Yu upset the second-ranked singles player in Division III, Juli Raventos. Yu ranks No. 15 in the country and defeated last year's national runner-up by scores of 7-5, 6-2.
HEAD COACH MIKE FRIED:
- "We played with heart and fought hard – it was great to get that much under our belt, learn from it and keep moving forward."
- Wesleyan returns to the courts Wednesday, April 12 to host in-state rival Trinity beginning at 3:30 p.m.