Scores: Wesleyan 7, Amherst 2
Records: Wesleyan (10-2, 4-2 NESCAC); Amherst (5-7, 3-3 NESCAC)
Location: Amherst, Mass.
Date: Saturday, April 22
The Lead: For the first time since the 1980-81 season, and just the second time ever, the sixth-ranked Wesleyan University women's tennis team defeated No. 12 Amherst College, 7-2.
- The Cardinals took two-of-three doubles matches.
- In the No. 1 spot, Eudice Chong '18 and Victoria Yu '19 earned an 8-2 victory, while Helen Klass-Warch '18 and Nicole McCann '18 took No. 3 doubles with an 8-3 win.
- Wesleyan cruised in singles play and won the No. 1-5 positions.
- Chong claimed No. 1 singles with a decisive 6-1, 6-2 victory.
- In the No. 2 spot, Yu took the first set 6-1, while battling to a 7-5 victory in the second.
- Aashli Budhiraja '18 won 6-4, 6-0 in No. 3 singles, and Klass-Warch claimed the No. 4 spot by scores of 6-4, 7-5.
- McCann edged Megan Adamo in the No. 5 position with back-to-back wins of 7-5.
HEAD COACH MIKE FRIED:
- "Great win for Wes, only the second time in the history of the rivalry that we've beaten them. Great fight from the entire team."
- The Cardinals remain on the road tomorrow and will play at No. 3 Middlebury. The match is scheduled to start at 10 a.m.