Scores: Bowdoin 5, Wesleyan 3
Records: Wesleyan (11-4, 5-3 NESCAC); Bowdoin (14-4, 5-3 NESCAC)
Location: Williamstown, Mass.
Date: Friday, May 5
The Lead: The fourth-seeded and nationally-ranked No. 7 Wesleyan University women's tennis team fell to fifth-seeded and No. 8 Bowdoin College in the First Round of the 2017 NESCAC Women's Tennis Championships, 5-3.
- Wesleyan took a 2-1 lead after doubles play.
- Eudice Chong '18 and Victoria Yu '19 cruised to an 8-0 sweep over Joulia Likhanskaia and Sam Stalder in the No. 1 position.
- At No. 2 doubles, Helen Klass-Warch '18 and Nicole McCann '18 defeated Tess Trinka and Tasha Christ.
- The last court to finish was No. 3 doubles, as Aashli Budhiraja '18 and Dasha Dubinsky '18 were narrowly edged by Pilar Giffenig and Sasa Jovanovic.
- Despite a 2-1 lead in doubles, Chong was the lone Cardinal to win a singles match.
- The junior defeated Likhanskaia by scores of 7-5, 6-1.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Today's match was the first between Wesleyan and Bowdoin this season, but third-straight in the First Round of the NESCAC Championships.
- The Cardinals won last year's matchup, 5-1, while the Polar Bears claimed a 5-4 victory the year before.
- Wesleyan awaits its NCAA Tournament fate when the NCAA announces the field in a press release on Monday, May 8, while individuals are announced Wednesday, May 10.