Scores: Bowdoin 5, Wesleyan 4
Records: Wesleyan (12-5); Bowdoin (16-5)
Location: Brunswick, Maine (Pickard Courts)
Date: Sunday, May 14
The Lead: For the second time in just over a week, NESCAC rivals Wesleyan University and Bowdoin College met in a postseason match, as the No. 8 Polar Bears edged the seventh-ranked Cardinals in the third round of the NCAA Division III Championships on Sunday, 5-4.
- Bowdoin took a 2-1 lead after doubles play with wins in the No. 2 spot and the No. 3 position.
- Wesleyan's No. 1 doubles team, consisting of Eudice Chong '18 and Victoria Yu '19, claimed an 8-5 win from the top of the lineup.
- Singles play came down to the final match in the No. 5 spot.
- Chong cruised to wins of 6-3, 6-0 over Joulia Likhanskaia in No. 1 singles, while Yu took the No. 2 spot by scores of 6-4, 6-4, and Aashli Budhiraja '18 edged Sam Stalder in the No. 3 position by back-to-back wins of 6-4.
- No. 5 singles featured a three-set thriller. Pilar Giffenig took the first set 6-3, but Nicole McCann '18 rallied in the second with a 6-3 win of her own. However, Giffening rallied in the decisive third set with a 6-2 win to claim the match.
- Wesleyan's team season comes to an end with a 12-5 overall record, however Chong and Yu will compete in the NCAA Division III Individual Championships which begin Thursday, May 25 in Chattanooga, Tenn. and run through Saturday, May 27.
- Chong eyes a third-consecutive singles title, while also looking for her first doubles crown of her career with Yu. Yu also qualified for the singles tournament for the first time in her career.