CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Defending NCAA Doubles Champions Eudice Chong '18 and Victoria Yu '19 cruised through a pair of doubles matches to book a spot in the finals of the MIT Invitational on Day 2 of action. The duo has dropped just five games on their way to the final, where they will look to defend their title from a year ago at the same event.
- Alissa Nakamoto '21 continued to impress in her first tournament as a Cardinal, fighting back to defeat Amherst's Camilla Trapness 3-6, 6-2, 6-0 in the quarterfinals. Nakamoto's great run would eventually end in the semifinals, where she was topped by Camile Smukler, also of Amherst, 6-2, 6-4.
- Yu, the tournament's top seed in singles, was upset in her first match of the day, falling 7-5, 6-4 to Libby RIckeman of MIT. Nicole McCann '18 and Aashli Budhiraja '18 also lost their only singles matches of the day, both in the consolation bracket. McCann lost to Anya Ivenitsky of Amherst 6-2, 6-2, while Budhiraja was just barely topped by Tufts' Lauren Louks 6-2, 3-6, 10-5.
- Yu and Chong opened up doubles play with an 8-3 triumph over Rickeman and Sonya Das (MIT), and continued to roll through their second match, blanking Ivenitsky and Avery Wagman (Amherst) 8-0.
- Daniela Alvarez '21 and Julia Kim '20 earned their first victory as a doubles team – also the first of Alvarez's collegiate career – with an 8-5 win over Margot Shea and Julia Keller of Tufts in the consolation bracket. The Cardinals duo were later defeated 8-3 by Smukler and Maddie Dewire (Amherst).
- Helen Klass-Warch '18 and Polina Kiseleva '21 came out on the wrong end of a roller coaster match, losing 8-6 to Kiara Rose and Mina Karamerecan of Tufts in the consolation bracket.
- McCann and Nakamoto were unable to replicate their strong play from Day 1, bowing out in the doubles quarterfinal round 8-4 to Louks and Otilia Popa (Tufts).
- Only one match is on the schedule for Wesleyan on Day 3 – the doubles final. Chong and Yu will look to continue their successful run as they face Amherst's Vickie Ip and Kelsey Chen. The match is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m.