CLAREMONT, Calif. – The No. 9 nationally ranked Wesleyan University women's tennis team won its third straight match to start the 2018 spring season as the Cardinals cruised to a 9-0 sweep over No. 23 Southwestern (Tex.) on Friday.
All 10 Wesleyan players claimed a win as the Cardinals improved to 3-0 on the year. With the loss, the Pirates dropped to 5-3 overall.
- The No. 1 doubles duo of Eudice Chong '18 and Victoria Yu '19 cruised to an 8-0 sweep in the top spot.
- Polina Kiseleva '21 and Alissa Nakamoto '21 took No. 2 doubles, 8-5, and Helen Klass-Warch '18 and Nicole McCann '18 took the No. 3 spot, 8-2.
- In singles action, Chong and Yu cruised to victories at the top of the lineup. Chong won No. 1 singles by marks of 6-0, 6-1, and Yu swept No. 2 singles with back-to-back 6-0 scores.
- Aashli Budhiraja '18 prevailed in a three-set thriller in the No. 3 position. She took the first set, 6-2, but dropped the second, 6-3. In the third and final set, Budhiraja took the game, 10-6.
- Daniela Alvarez '21 and Zoe Klass-Warch '21 swept No. 4 and No. 6 singles, respectively. Alvarez won 6-2, 6-3, and Z. Klass-Warch claimed back-to-back 6-2 victories.
- In No. 5 singles, Julia Kim '20 won a three-set match by marks of 6-3, 5-7, 10-6.
- Wesleyan is back in action tomorrow, March 17 and will play at No. 34 Redlands beginning at 2:30 p.m. ET.