Result: 3rd of 11 teams (123.5 points)
Location: Northampton, Mass. (Smith Invitational)
Date: Saturday, January 21st
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's track and field team put together an impressive performance at the Smith Invitational, finishing third overall.
- The Cardinals claimed the top three spots in the 800-meters as sophomores Jenny Aguiar (2:22.16), Claudia Schatz (2:22.23) and Isabella Reilly (2:28.82) earned the top three spots. Aquiar and Schatz qualify for the Division III New England Championships.
- In the 3,000 meter run, Rhoen Fiutak '19 claimed third place with her time of 10:40.18, which is a 31 second personal record and qualified her for the DIII New England Regionals, while Julia Mitchell '19 finished fifth, crossing the line in 10:48.86.
- The Wesleyan 4x400 meter relay team of Schatz, Christina Hebner '17, Reilly, and Sylwia Lipior '18 finished first overall with their time of 4:19.80.
- Alex Dibrindisi '19 came in second in the 400 meter run with a time of 1:00.29, and also finished the 200 meter in fifth place as she crossed the line in 27.92.
- In the 600-meter event, Lipior finished third as she came in with a mark of 1:45.88.
- Molly Schassberger '17 claimed second in the mile as she crossed the finish line in 5:13.47, which is a new indoor personal record, while Caroline Elmendorf '17 finished fourth with a time of 5:21.76. Both runners' times qualify them for the Division III New England Championship.
- Freshman Casey Rothschild won the pole vault event with her mark of 3.05m. Fellow freshman Tara Peng came in third as she cleared 2.90m.
- In the weight throw event, Caroline Diemer '18 finished second with her throw of 11.96m, she also finished in fifth in the shot put with a throw of 10.51m.
- Rothschild showed her versatility, as she also claimed second in the triple jump with a mark of 10.73m.
- Sophomore Katie Maehl came in fifth in the long jump with a mark of 4.82m. She also finished fifth in the high jump, clearing 1.57m.
- The Cardinals will return to the track on Saturday, January 28th as they will take part in the Tufts Invitational.