Score: 7 of 17 teams
Location: New London, Conn.
Invitational: Silfen Invitational
Date: Friday, April 14 – Saturday, April 15
The Lead: Six top-five finishes helped lead the Wesleyan University women's track and field team to a seventh place finish at the Silfen Invitational on Saturday.
- Alex Dibrindisi '19 finished fourth in the 400-meter run as she crossed the line in 1:00.65.
- The 100-meter dash saw Jenny Aguiar '19 finish seventh with a mark of 13.02.
- Molly Schassberger '17 came in eighth in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 17.39.17, which qualifies her for the New England Outdoor Championships. Caroline Elmendorf '17 also qualified for the event as she finishes tenth with a mark of 17:47.29.
- The Cardinals 4x100 meter relay team of Aguiar, Allegra Fils-Aime '19, Tess Holland '18 and Dibrindisi earned an eighth place finish with their time of 53.68.
- Wesleyan's 4x400 team of Aquiar, Holland, Fils-Aime and Nikita Rajgopal '17 won the event with a mark of 4:04.50.
- The 4x800 relay team of Rhoen Fiutak '19, Christina Hebner '17, Sylwia Lipior '18, and Julia Mitchell '19 notched a second place finish as they crossed the line in 10:16.76.
- Freshman Tara Peng finished third in the high jump with a mark of 1.53m.
- The pole vault event saw freshman Casey Rothschild finish third with a mark of 3.10m and junior Colleen O'Neill finish in fourth with a score of 2.80m. Peng also finished sixth with a mark of 2.65m.
- Caroline Diemer '18 earned a tenth place finish in the shot put with a throw of 10.47.
HEAD COACH WALTER CURRY:
- "Our team is starting to gather momentum as we head into the last two weeks of the season."
- "After getting over some injuries and sickness, the team is starting to get back to the form that had them running, jumping and throwing very strongly during the indoor season."
- "Next week's J.Elmer Swanson Invitational will be the last regular season contest before the NESCAC Championship. We hope with good weather and a big student crowd to support the team, stellar performances will continue all the way to our championship part of the season."
- The Cardinals will return to the track on Saturday, April 22nd as they will host the J. Elmer Swanson Invitational beginning at 11 a.m.