MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Freshman Ivie Uzamere of the Wesleyan University women's track & field team placed first overall with a program-best mark of 17.43 meters in the weight throw on Saturday during the Wesleyan Indoor Invitational at the Bacon Field House in Middletown, Conn.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Uzamere, who hails from White Plains, N.Y., also grabbed a first-place finish in the shot put with a mark of 12.66.
- Sophomore Sara Pinsonault was the first runner to cross the finish line during the 5,000m with a time of 18:40.74, while the Cardinals grabbed first-place recognition in the 4x400m relay (4:09.32) powered by the group of freshman Julia Cella, junior Allegra Fils-Aime, senior Tess Holland and freshman Anne Peartree.
- Junior Jenny Aguiar once again registered a well-rounded performance, earning runner-up honors in the 400m (59.54), and grabbing fifth-place accolades in the 200m (27.14).
- During the 200m, junior Alex Dibrindisi (26.92) and freshman Isis Gaddy (26.98) finished in the third and fourth slots, respectively. Gaddy, who grew up in Mount Vernon, N.Y., also compiled a fourth-place effort during the 60m (8.15).
- Cella was the Cardinals' top-performer and finished third overall during the 600m with a time of 1:40.59, while senior Sylwia Lipior was strong during the 800m, crossing the finish line in a time of 2:26.45, which put the Springfield, Mass. native in the No. 3 slot.
- Sophomore Tara Peng finished third overall during the pole vault (3.05), and sophomore Sydney Forrest placed fourth and fifth overall, respectively, in the triple jump (10.20) and the pole vault (2.75).
- Junior Katie Maehl was the fourth-place performer in the high jump, posting a mark of 1.54.
- The Cardinals be back in action on Friday (1 p.m.) at the FastTrack Invite from the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex in Staten Island, N.Y.