Score: Bates 3, Wesleyan 0 (25-18, 25-16, 25-15)
Records: Wesleyan (8-4, 3-3 NESCAC); Bates (5-9, 2-3 NESCAC)
Location: Lewiston, Maine (Alumni Gymnasium)
Date: Friday, October 7, 2016
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: Freshman Gabby Bennett recorded nine kills with an efficient .444 hitting percentage, but the Wesleyan University women's volleyball team dropped a 3-0 NESCAC match Friday night at Bates.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bobcats came out strong in the first set and jumped out to a 4-0 lead. Wesleyan got within one, 5-4, but Bates scored three straight and never looked back as it went on to win, 25-18.
- The home team carried the momentum in the second set and again jumped out to a big lead, scoring the first three points before taking an 11-2 advantage. The deficit proved to be too much as Bates took a 2-0 lead in the match with a 25-16 win.
- Trailing 4-3 in the third set, a kill from Bennett evened the score at 4-4. However, Bates responded with a kill from Taylor Stafford-Smith and the Bobcats eventually pulled away to claim a 25-15 victory to seal the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Nicole Hilton '20 joined Bennett with nine kills. Kaira Muraoka-Robertson '20 dished out 26 assists, while Olivia Guidotti '20 and Madeleine Lundberg '19 recorded 11 and 10 digs, respectively.
- The Bobcats were led by Chandler McGrath who finished with 19 kills and a .600 hitting percentage. Stafford-Smith registered 10 kills with a .417 attack mark, while Jacqueline Forney handed out 45 assists and recorded 15 digs. Gabi Eustache led all players with 19 digs.
- Wesleyan returns to the court tomorrow and will play Colby at 10 a.m. and Babson at roughly 12:30 p.m. Both matches will be played at Colby College.
- The Bobcats remain home and will host Trinity tomorrow at 1 p.m.