WESTFIELD, Mass. – The Wesleyan University volleyball team defeated non-conference foe Westfield State in a 3-0 sweep Thursday night. The Cardinals, who improve to 5-0 on the season, defeated the Owls (2-7) on the road by scores of 25-19, 25-14, 25-16.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wesleyan was led by Harper Graves '21 with a match-high 13 kills, while Gabby Bennett '20 and Nicole Hilton '20 added nine and seven, respectively. Kaira Muraoka-Robertson '20 paced the offense with a match-high 25 assists.
- Defensively, Phia Bellizzi '21 led all players with 21 digs, and Muraoka-Robertson added 12 to complete the double-double. Olivia Guidotti '20 and Robi Frederick '21 added 11 each.
- Westfield State struggled offensively, hitting only .053 with 22 kills, while the Cardinals registered 46 kills and a .200 hitting percentage.
- Natasha Belardo led the Owls with six kills, and Brigid Murray dished out a team-high 17 assists. Lizzie Taylor and Jess Haradon posted 18 and 10 digs, respectively.
- The Cardinals return to action tomorrow, Sept. 15 and will play at Little Three rival Williams for their first NESCAC contest of the season. The match is scheduled to start at 8 p.m.