WATERVILLE, Maine – The Wesleyan University volleyball team won its eighth consecutive match Friday night as the Cardinals swept NESCAC foe Colby College by scores of 25-14, 25-19, 25-14. Win the win, Wesleyan improves to 16-1 overall, while remaining undefeated in conference action with a 7-0 mark. The Mules drop to 3-12 on the year and 0-7 in league play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cardinals dominated the first and third sets but faced a scare in the second.
- In the first game Friday night, Wesleyan went on an 8-2 run to open and never looked back. Harper Graves '21 sealed the win with a kill and an assist from Grace Rose '21 to put the visiting team on top, 1-0.
- Colby took its first lead of the match early in the second, 2-1, and led by as much as five (15-10) shortly after. However, the Cardinals slowly cut into the deficit and three consecutive kills from Stasie Litinsky '21 put them ahead, 22-19. Wesleyan scored the final seven points of the set to win, 25-19.
- The Mules scored three unanswered to tie it in the third at 5-5, but it was all Cardinals the rest of the way. A 5-0 run by the visitor's lifted Wesleyan's lead to 16-8, and two kills apiece from Nicole Hilton '20 and Madeleine Lundberg '19 down the stretch put the game and match away.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Cardinals hit .311 as a team with 40 total kills. Litinsky led all players with 10 while hitting .316, as Hilton and Lundberg added eight and seven, respectively. Lundberg registered an incredible .545 attack clip.
- Kaira Muraoka-Robertson '20 dished out 18 assists and Rose added 14. Defensively, Phia Bellizzi '21 led all players with 17 digs.
- For Colby, the Mules were led by Paige Hanssen's nine kills and seven digs. Nicole Petherbridge added seven kills with a .350 hitting percentage, and Emily Moslener registered 15 assists.
- The Cardinals are back in action tomorrow, Oct. 14 and will play at Bates. The match is scheduled to start at 2 p.m.