-- Recap by Dom Vazquez '19 --
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan University volleyball team swept Westfield State at home, 3-0 on Thursday night to improve to 8-1. The Cardinals won every set by a score of 25-12 for their eighth straight victory while snapping the Owls win streak of three as they fall to 3-13 on the year.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first set began with a back-and-forth between the teams, resulting in a 9-9 tie. Wesleyan then went on a four-point run with kills from Mia Hogan '20 and Nicole Hilton '20. Following two kills by the Owls, Wesleyan outscored Westfield State 11-2 to finish the set, 25-12.
- The second frame began with an 11-3 run by the Cardinals led by three kills from Hilton. The Owls attempted to rally, scoring three straight points until the Cardinals began an 8-4 run. An attack error by the Owls ended the set at 25-12.
- The third was much like the first, with a back-and-forth exchange leading to a 10-9 Wesleyan lead. The Cardinals then scored nine straight to increase their lead to 19-9. A service ace by Jenna Otaola '22 gave Wesleyan the set and the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Offensively, the Cardinals were led by Hilton and Madeleine Lundberg '19 with seven kills each. Both Hogan and Gabby Roberts '22 recorded six of their own and Kaira Muraoka-Robertson '20 led the team in assists with 19 followed by Grace Rose '21 at 10.
- Defensively, Lundberg led Wesleyan in digs with nine, followed by Phia Bellizzi '20 with eight and Rose with seven.
- Offensively, Ainsley MacLeod led the Owls in kills with seven, while Ally Rega led in assists with 23. Defensively, Jess Haradon posted a team-high 12 digs.
- The Cardinals next challenge comes this weekend as they play at NESCAC rival Trinity on Friday night at 7 p.m.