MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Senior co-captains Madeleine Lundberg and Emma Robin of the Wesleyan University volleyball team celebrated a 3-0 sweep over Colby College Friday on Senior Night as the Cardinals improved to 12-2 overall and a perfect 7-0 in NESCAC play. Following the loss, the Mules dropped to 5-11 and 0-7.
- The Cardinals were most efficient in the first set on Friday night as they hit .524 as a team with 12 kills and only one error on 21 attempts. Tied at 7-7, the home team went on a 6-0 run to pull ahead and never looked back. They eventually closed out the frame with five unanswered points as Harper Graves '21 sealed the 25-12 victory with a kill.
- The second set proved to be the most competitive. Colby came out to a 3-0 lead before Wesleyan rallied with five-straight points. The Cardinals would hold a small lead the rest of the way but briefly pulled away with a 5-0 run to go up 18-12. Late in the second, the Mules scored five of six points to get within two (22-20) following a kill from Elizabeth Middlebrook, but the home team rallied off three unanswered to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
- In the third, it was all Wesleyan as the home team jumped out to a 10-5 lead. The Cardinals pulled ahead by 10 late in the frame, 20-10, and an emphatic kill by Hogan sealed the 25-14 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Kaira Muraoka-Robertson '20 dished out 18 assists for the Cardinals while Phia Bellizzi '21 led all players with 15 digs and Lundberg added 12. Lundberg and Robin both assisted on two blocks as well.
- Colby was led by Paige Hanssen's eight kills and Molly Manuel's 18 assists. Erin Maidman led the defensive efforts with eight digs and Hanssen added seven and four block assists. Simone Sears contributed to four blocks as well.
- Wesleyan is back in action tomorrow and will host Bates in its final regular season home match scheduled for 2 p.m.