SELINSGROVE, Pa. – Juniors Mia Hogan and Nicole Hilton recorded 15 and 12 kills, respectively, to help lead the Wesleyan University volleyball team to a 3-0 sweep over non-conference foe Franklin & Marshall on Friday night on the campus of Susquehanna University.
With the win, the Cardinals improve to 14-2 overall on the season and 5-1 in neutral site contests. Following the loss, the Diplomats dropped to 19-6.
- Wesleyan excelled in the first set and hit .405 as a team with 17 kills and only two errors on 37 attempts. Tied at 7-7, the Cardinals used a 5-1 run to pull ahead as they never looked back. Franklin & Marshall got within one, 13-12, but it was all Wesleyan down the stretch as the Cardinals outscored the Diplomats 12-4 including four-straight kills that lead to the 25-16 victory.
- The second frame featured a thriller with Franklin & Marshall opening on a 4-0 run. Hogan knotted the set at 7-7 and Mia Jago '22 gave the Cardinals their first lead with a service ace on the following point. Wesleyan held a 20-13 lead but the Diplomats rallied down the stretch. Trailing 24-19, they scored five unanswered points to even the score, but back-to-back errors gave the Cardinals the 26-24 win.
- In the third, Franklin & Marshall jumped out to a 4-0 lead once again but Wesleyan countered and a kill by Maddie Kurke '22 put the Cardinals ahead by one, 8-7. The Diplomats regained a lead shortly after and went ahead 15-13 following a kill from Grace Polisano. After some back-and-forth action, Wesleyan took the lead for good following an attack error by Franklin & Marshall to make it 17-16 Cardinals. Ahead by one down the stretch, 23-22, Madeleine Lundberg '19 sealed the win for Wesleyan with a kill followed by a service ace.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Hogan hit .324 and Hilton hit .333 to lead the offense, while setter Kaira Muraoka-Robertson '20 hit .556 with five kills and zero errors. Muraoka-Robertson recorded a double-double as well with a game-high 30 assists and 12 digs. Phia Bellizzi '21 led all players defensively with 21 digs and Lundberg added 10. Hogan and Hilton each recorded three block assists as well.
- The Diplomats were led by Polisano and Allison Franke with 10 kills each. Grace Maggiore dished out 28 assists and Carlita Bozzo led the defense with 11 digs. Delaney Hahn and Carly Ostrowski each totaled 10 digs and Franke recorded four block assists.
- The Cardinals are back in action tomorrow for a doubleheader against the host school Susquehanna (1 p.m.) followed by Swarthmore (3 p.m.).