BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Wesleyan University volleyball team saw its title defense come to an end Saturday as the seconded-seeded Cardinals were upset by third-seeded Amherst College in the NESCAC Semifinals at Bowdoin, 3-0. The Mammoths (22-4) won by scores of 25-21, 25-21 and 25-22.
Wesleyan (17-5) awaits its NCAA Tournament fate when the selection show airs on Monday, Nov. 5 at 12:30 p.m. on NCAA.com.
- The Cardinals used a 4-1 run in the first set to go ahead, 17-11. However, the Mammoths rallied and scored eight of the next 10 points to tie it at 19-19. Back-to-back kills from Nicole Hilton and Mia Jago gave Wesleyan a 21-19 lead, but Amherst scored six unanswered points to claim the set and take a 1-0 lead in the match.
- In the second, the Mammoths went on a 6-1 run early to go ahead 6-3. Later in the frame, Wesleyan went on a 5-0 run to take a 15-14 lead, but it was short-lived. A kill by Cameron Hendricks soon after gave Amherst a 17-16 advantage and it never looked back. Emily Kolsky eventually sealed the 25-21 victory with a kill.
- Trailing 2-0 in the match, the Cardinals opened the third with a 3-0 run and held a 10-6 lead later in the set. However, Amherst rallied with a 6-0 run to go ahead, 12-10. The rest of the frame featured two ties but Wesleyan was unable to take a lead and another kill by Kolsky gave the Mammoths a 25-22 victory and the match win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan was led offensively by Stasie Litinsky with 11 kills and a .219 hitting percentage. Hilton totaled nine kills with a .421 attack clip and Kaira Muraoka-Robertson tallied a double-double with 29 assists and 11 digs. Phia Bellizzi led the defense with 21 digs and Madeleine Lundberg added 15.
- Kolsky led all players with 16 kills while Sophie Launsbach added 12 with a .455 hitting percentage. Charlotte Duran had a match-high 39 assists and totaled 13 digs. In all, four players recorded double-digit digs for Amherst as Hayes Honea and Candace Chung each had 14 and Skyleur Savage added 13.