Results: 1st of 2
Invitational: Wesleyan Invitational
Location: Middletown, Conn. (The Wes Fuhrman '05 Trails)
Date: Friday, September 16
Distance: 3 miles
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's cross country team opened up its 2016 season with a first place showing at the Wesleyan Invitational. The Cardinals claimed four out of the top five spots.
- Molly Schassberger '17 finished in first place for Wesleyan with a time of 18:22.47.
- Caroline Elmendorf '17 crossed the finish line in second place with a mark of 18:44.01.
- Rounding out the top four for the Cardinals were Christina Hebner '17 and Rhoen Fiutak '19, who finished the race with times of 19:12.46 and 19:16.24, respectively.
- Hannah Gillis '20 used a strong final mile to finish sixth overall with a time of 19:19.0.
- The Cardinals' returning runners ran faster than they did in last years meet with Hebner improving by 19 seconds, Fiutak by 23 seconds and Schassberger and Elmendorf improved their times by 26 seconds.
- Wesleyan will return to the track on Saturday, October 1st and will compete in the Paul Short Run at Lehigh University's Goodman Campus. The race will begin at 1 p.m.