TUSCON, Ariz.- Five different Cardinals' batters recorded an RBI, as the Wesleyan University baseball team defeated Marian University (Wisconsin) 7-4 on Friday afternoon at the Kino Sports Complex.
- The Cardinals got off to an early 4-0 lead, scoring two runs in each of the first two innings.
- In the first inning, Marco Baratta '16 knocked in the first Wesleyan run with a single, and Guy Davidson '16 scored the second run of the inning on a double steal.
- Andrew Keith '19 knocked in Eric Jones '16 with a single up the middle, and Keith would steal second base and eventually score on a a throwing error to give the Cardinals a 4-0 lead in the second inning.
- Marian was able to bring the Wesleyan lead down to one run at 4-3 in the top of the fifth, but the Cardinals responded, scoring two runs in the bottom of the frame to bring their lead back up to 6-3, thanks to an RBI single by Davidson and a sacrifice fly by Jordan Farber '16.
- The Sabres were able to cut the Wesleyan lead to two runs as a Cody Schaefer sacrifice fly made the score 6-4 in favor of the Cardinals.
- Wesleyan would again answer in the bottom of the eight as Matt Jeye '18 singled in Farber to give the Cardinals a 7-4 advantage.
- Marian would get a runner on in the top of the ninth, but were unable to get any runners across the plate, as Wesleyan would go onto win, 7-4.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Keith went 2-3 with an RBI and two runs scored in the game.
- Davidson recorded two hits and an RBI, while Baratta, Jeye and Farber also recorded a hit and RBI each in the game.
- Nick Miceli '17 got the win in relief for Wesleyan as he went five innings, allowing one run on three hits with four strikeouts.
- For Marian, Mitchel Buss went 3-4 with an RBI
- Tony Grannis, Schaefer and Tyler Thompson also knocked in runs for the Sabres.
- The Cardinals will return to the field tomorrow, Saturday March 12th, as they will face the University of La Verne at 5 p.m EST and the University of Wisconsin Superior at 8:30 p.m. EST.
- The Sabres will return to action on Saturday March 19th as they will take on Otterbein in a double header starting at 12 p.m.