TUSCON, Ariz- The Wesleyan University baseball team defeated the University of Wisconsin-Superior, 9-1 thanks in part to an excellent pitching performance by Ethan Rode '17, who pitched eight strong innings for the Cardinals in the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Nick Miceli '17 opened up the scoring for the Cardinals as his double in the second inning scored Jordan Farber '16. Robby Harbison '17 then tripled to score Miceli and give Wesleyan a 2-0 lead. Will O'Sullivan '17 would hit a sacrifice fly to give Wesleyan the 3-0 lead.
- The Yellowjackets got the lead back to one as Chad Patko scored on a Kyle Bellin groundout.
- The Cardinals extended their lead in the fifth on RBI singles by Matt Jeye '18 and Miceli to give them a 5-1 lead.
- In the bottom of the sixth, Wesleyan put up three more runs as Guy Davidson '16 and Farber knocked in runs. The third Cardinal run of the inning was scored after a balk scores Ellis Schaefer '17.
- O'Sullivan would cap the night for Wesleyan with a 2-run homerun in the bottom of the seventh to give the Cardinals a 10-1 win.
BY THE NUMBERS
- O'Sullivan went 3-3 in the game with three runs batted in.
- Miceli also got three hits in the game, going 3-4 with 2 RBIs.
- Rode pitched an excellent game, going eight innings, and allowing only one run while striking out five Yellowjacket batters.
- Bellin went 1-2 in the game for Wis-Superior with an RBI.
- The Cardinals return to the diamond on Wed., March 16 at 6 p.m. EST as they take on Macalester College.